Monday, January 23, 2012

Black Bean and Pea Bowl for lunch

In an effort to avoid reaching for a carb, especially wheat, every time I'm hungry, I sometimes have to get creative at lunch time.  Though I love making solid dinners, lunch and breakfast are not my strong suits.  It's not that I don't enjoy making them.  In fact, I recently discovered that I love having people over for lunch or brunch because I get to focus on new kinds of recipes.  But for myself, there's just not enough time for things to get interesting. But move on over, almond butter sandwich!  Here's a yummy, easy lunch that is low on carbs and uses things I happened to find in my house today.  I think it would also be great with a Mexican style cheese (which I didn't have).

Ingredients
1 Tbl fat of your choice (I used bacon fat)
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg, whisked (2 if you love egg)
1 cup frozen peas
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 Tbl frsh oregano, chopped
1 small avocado, sliced
Pepitas
Hot sauce and salt, to taste

Directions
Cook onions with a couple pinches of salt in fat over medium high heat until golden. Add garlic and cook a minute more. Turn heat to medium low and add egg, stirring until cooked through (I like it scrambled and well chopped). Add the peas, cook a bit, then add beans until all is heated through.  Stir in oregano and hot sauce. Divide into two bowls, topping each with avocado and pepitas.

Yield: 2

No comments: